Thursday, March 15, 2012

Open Captioning for Movie Theatres


Dear Mr. President,
My name is Sophie, I am a student at Parkway West High School in St. Louis, Missouri. Originally, I was going to write to you about the issue of gas prices…they're killing me. However, I have been re-inspired. I attend a school that has a deaf and hard-of-hearing program and I have a hand-full of deaf students in three of my classes that I have had the privilege of becoming friends with. In my Chemistry class we often watch educational videos or tutorials on how to do specific labs. These videos never have captions, making the class more difficult for the deaf students. This is just one example of challenges these students are faced with every day.
The deaf citizens of the United States are also unable to participate in the same cultural activities as people that have their hearing, specifically going to the movies. Every movie theatre should designate a time everyday where at least one movie with open captions is displayed on screen. It is something so simple that could bring so much joy to our fellow citizens! Mr. Obama please make this a requirement in the current American with Disabilities Act. Like my friend Dante said in his letter, many other awesome accommodations are made to others with disabilities. So, why shouldn't this change be made to help the deaf population of our country? Again, it is such a simple pleasure that is deprived from those in the deaf community. Please, Mr. President, help make it happen! Thank you so much for your time, I greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,

Sophie
Parkway School District

P.S.  My grandmother, who always complains (loudly) about how she can never hear when we are in movies, could definitely benefit from this as well! J Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a public blog visible to everyone, including students, teachers, parents, and public officials. Please set a positive example for public discourse by framing your comments in a courteous and professional manner. Any offensive material will be promptly removed.