Wednesday, March 14, 2012

College Affordability

Dear Mr. President,
I am writing you today about the issue of college affordability. I read your plan for higher education reforms, and it seems pretty solid. Lowering the cost of a college education for both parents and students will definitely help, but I don't think that it will be enough.
If you want to have the highest proportion of graduate students in the world, then more will have to be done. I live in the middle class, and right now college is expensive and hard to even think about. My sister is in college right now and she is explaining how challenging it is to learn with all of the items that she has to buy. Both my sister and I have to get through college so we can excel in our future, but with the prices where they are now, it will be challenging.
There are many different types of scholarships out there, but even those don't provide us with enough to get us through four years of college. If we take out loans, we will graduate into a bad economy with thousands of dollars of debt on our hands. Is that what you want for America's young people?
I can't wait to go to college because it's going to be an adventure like no other, but I won't want to worry everyday about my money situation and how it will affect my college experience. I am so glad that I live in this great country where we can get a good education and prosper in life, and I am proud of what this country has accomplished in education, but there is still plenty of work that needs to be done, and sooner rather then later because this is what the students in this country need. This is what people in this country need. We need to invest in our future.
Sincerely,
Joey                                                                                                                                           
Parkway West High School
Chesterfield, MO

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a public blog visible to everyone, including students, teachers, parents, and public officials. Please set a positive example for public discourse by framing your comments in a courteous and professional manner. Any offensive material will be promptly removed.