Friday, March 16, 2012

Against the Nuclear Weapon Abolishment

April 15, 2012

Dear Mr. President,

            My name is Jordan. I am a student at Parkway West Middle School, and I am writing to you today to share my thoughts on nuclear weapon abolition.

            I became interested in this issue just this year during my communication arts class, but I have always been fascinate with national defense since both of my parents serve in the U.S. Air Force. I know that you, as the President, obviously know better than me about this issue, but I just wanted to tell you my opinion. I know that you plan to abolish nuclear weapons, however, I personally am opposed to that plan.

            First of all, Former Defense Secretary, James Schlesinger, says, "Nuclear weapons are used every day… to deter our potential foes and provide reassurance to the allies to whom we offer protection." This evidence shows that just by having nuclear weapons, we are defending ourselves. We don't even have to use them, but the weapons pose enough of a threat to keep enemies away.

            Second, we have spent trillions of dollars on cultivating our nuclear weapon supply to get what we posses now. Getting rid of these would be too much of a loss. This helps illustrate the amount of resources we have put into our national defense system. Do we really want to lose this?

            I want to ask you to rethink this plan; maybe slow down the race to abolishment. Someday, it would be nice to have a world free of weapons, but now may not be the time. Thank you for all you do for our country, and thank you for taking the time to read this!

Sincerely,

Jordan

Parkway West Middle

Ballwin, MO.




NOTICE: Any information contained in or attached to this message is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s). Any review, retransmission, dissemination of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this communication by persons other than the intended recipient(s) is prohibited. If you received this communication in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from all computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a public blog visible to everyone, including students, teachers, parents, and public officials. Please set a positive example for public discourse by framing your comments in a courteous and professional manner. Any offensive material will be promptly removed.